Support > Frequently Asked Questions

Remote Control + Water + Microwave Oven = Bad News

If you accidentally immerse your remote control in water, never dry it off in your microwave oven. The moment you press START, the remote will be exposed to upwards of 500W of microwave energy. All metal part will heat up and burn the remote control.

The remote control will never work again.

To correctly dry a soaked remote control
  1. Open the case.
  2. Throw away the battery, the water will have leaked into the battery and made it possible for the alkaline inside to seep out. The seepage will corrode everything it come in contact with.
  3. Blow away or dab with a paper towel the water still inside the remote.
  4. Spray printed circuit board with an aerosol such as CRC or WD40. Brush lightly with an old toothbrush (don't clean your teeth with afterwards) to remove most oxide build up.
  5. Leave in the sun for an hour to dry.
  6. Buy a new battery.

This will rescue about 75% of all remotes that have gone for a swim. The most important factor is the time between the getting the remote wet and beginning the clean up. The remote must be dried as soon as humanly possible.